Tips to Remember When Walking Your Dog
Each morning, people wake up bright and early. The sun is coming up over the horizon, the birds are singing, and the air is crisp. There is no better time to grab the leash and take your dog for a walk. Before you strap your pup in and get ready to stroll, know that there are a few important keys to a safe, successful dog walk.
- Make sure your leash fits your dog. For bigger dogs, it is important to have a thick leash that won't snap. The basic 6-foot leash tends to be the best. Also, unless you have total control over the animal, it is best to steer away from retractable leashes.
- A strong and sturdy collar is a must. The collar should fit snugly around your dog's neck without serving as a choker. You should be able to get a couple of fingers between your dog and the collar. Make sure it is not on too loose though, because that will lead to your dog escaping the collar.
Other good tips when walking your pup are to periodically pull back (gently) on the leash, and quickly let go, to remind your pup to stay by your side; this is especially good to remember when approaching or walking by other dogs who may show a little aggression. Also, change things around. Your dog will get bored of traveling the same route day after day and may become restless. Make a wrong turn, or go down a strange street. Your dog will thank you when you get home with plenty of licks.
Here are some items you might want to bring along on your walk:
- 2 plastic bags, in case your dog goes number two more than once.
- Treats, to help train your dog as you walk.
- Cell phone, just in case you or your dog suffers a medical emergency.
Some of these items and tips may seem rather crude and elementary, but they will make all the difference in whether or not your experience walking your dog will be a successful one. Never hesitate to contact your local veterinarian if you have any further questions about dog walking or general dog obedience training. Information on Wag-A-Little's dog walking service. Ready to go? Please click here to book a service and arrange your welcome consultation.
Copyright 2018 Wag-A-Little: Dog Walkers & Pet Sitters. All rights reserved.
To book an appointment or to learn more about our dog walking and pet sitting services, please email us or call us at (720) 515-3567.
Professional Dog Walking, Pet Sitting & Pet Taxi Services ...